Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday No. 36: The Girl In The Tower, by Katherine Arden





Welcome to "Can't Wait Wednesday"!
   
This is a weekly event hosted by
Tressa @ Wishful Endings, and inspired by "Waiting On Wednesday", which used to be hosted by
 Jill @ Breaking the Spine.

For more information, please click HERE.

As in the previous meme, this one showcases future releases  we book  bloggers 
are eagerly anticipating!!
There's also a Linky widget, so participating blogs can link up!



Here's my choice for this week!



 The Girl In The Tower
(The Winternight Trilogy, Book 2)
Katherine Arden
Hardcover,  384 pages
Del Rey
December 5, 2017   
Fantasy, Historical Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34050917-the-girl-in-the-tower?ac=1&from_search=true







The magical adventure begun in The Bear and the Nightingale continues as brave Vasya, now a young woman, is forced to choose between marriage or life in a convent and instead flees her home—but soon finds herself called upon to help defend the city of Moscow when it comes under siege.

Orphaned and cast out as a witch by her village, Vasya’s options are few: resign herself to life in a convent, or allow her older sister to make her a match with a Moscovite prince. Both doom her to life in a tower, cut off from the vast world she longs to explore. So instead she chooses adventure, disguising herself as a boy and riding her horse into the woods. When a battle with some bandits who have been terrorizing the countryside earns her the admiration of the Grand Prince of Moscow, she must carefully guard the secret of her gender to remain in his good graces—even as she realizes his kingdom is under threat from mysterious forces only she will be able to stop.



Why I can't wait for this one!

This is such an AMAZING combination -- a kick-butt female protagonist, and a story set in Imperial Russia!! WOWZA!!  I'm SUPER EXCITED, guys!! Although the synopsis doesn't mention it, I'm also hoping there will be a romance between Vasya and the Grand Prince of Moscow!!  Keeping my fingers croseed!! Lol!!




This is the previous book
in this GREAT fantasy series!!
(Click on the cover for the 
Goodreads page.)


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25489134-the-bear-and-the-nightingale









Katherine Arden is the author of the national bestseller The Bear and the Nightingale. Born in Austin, Texas, Arden spent a year of high school in Rennes, France. Following her acceptance to Middlebury College in Vermont, she deferred enrollment for a year in order to live and study in Moscow. At Middlebury, she specialized in French and Russian literature. After receiving her BA, she moved to Maui, Hawaii, working every kind of odd job imaginable, from grant writing and making crêpes to guiding horse trips. Currently she lives in Vermont, but really, you never know.






What do you think of my choice?
Leave your link below, so I can
come check out your pick(s)! 







16 comments:

  1. You know, I'm surprised I've not read the first one in this series because I love books featuring witches. I've always liked these covers but I saw a new paperback version on a blog somewhere yesterday and I have to admit, I think I liked it better.

    Hope you and your family have recovered from last month's hurricane drama. I remember you were without power for a while. The boys say "WOOF" and want you to know it's "safe" to venture over to the feature today. There's a hearse but it's not scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb!

      Oh, there's a different cover for this book? I need to check it out! Thanks for mentioning that! As you know, I'm a cover art addict!! Lol.

      I like books dealing with witches, too, as long as they're not creepy. That might sound like an illogical statement, but I know there must be such books. ("Beautiful Creatures" is NOT one of them, though!)

      We have indeed recovered from Hurricane Irma! We lost power for only 3 days, which we're VERY thankful for! Plus, we had no damage to our condo. My husband and I rode out the hurricane (we had Category 1 winds) at my parents' house. They had no damage, either. There were a lot of trees down all over Miami, though.

      Oh, hearses? No, I don't like to read books with hearses in them. There was one in "Beautiful Creatures", and I didn't like that at all! Lol.

      Thanks for the lovely comment, and for being concerned about us, Barb!!

      Say "WOOF, WOOF" back to the boys, and HUGS FOR YOU ALL!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. Love that cover!

    Hope you are well Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Greg!

      Yes, I love it, too!!

      We're doing very well, thanks! We had no damage due to Hurricane Irma, thank God! There were a lot of trees down all over Miami, though.

      Thanks for your concern, and for dropping by to comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. Sadly enough I haven't read The Bear and the Nightingale yet, although I REALLY want to. And this sequel sounds equally amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stephanie!

      Yeah, I haven't read "The Bear and the Nightingale", either.... I tend to find out about great series when I come across the second, third, or maybe even fourth book in them! Lol.

      Now that I've discovered this one, OF COURSE I want to go back and read the first book!!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Maria,

    It seems so different that this is set in Imperial Russia. I think that it is good idea to set this kind of book during that time and place.

    The whole bad marriage verses convent thing seems to have been a common theme throughout history. One runs into it over and over again in books written over the centuries. Shakespeare even incorporated in his plays.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      The last time I read something similar was the first book in Leigh Bardugo's Grisha trilogy. That book is titled "Shadow and Bone", and the setting is actually a fictional country, Ravka, which is very similar to Imperial Russia. I found this setting FASCINATING! So OF COURSE I was immediately drawn to Arden's series!!

      Yeah, throughout history, we women have unfortunately not had many options for what to do with our lives. Having to either be thrust into an arranged marriage, or the convent, have too often been the bleak "choices" presented to us! And yes, Shakespeare included this theme in his plays, most notably in "Romeo and Juliet".

      I would like to read about how some real-life women in history were able to avoid this dilemma. One I can think of right away is Joan of Arc. She became a great hero and saint, instead!

      Thanks for another insightful comment!! Hope you have a great weekend!! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed the first book and can't wait to read this one. Hope you enjoy it a lot!

    Renee ~ My CWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Renee!

      Oh, you've read the first book, and loved it? That's a GREAT incentive for me to read it! But I'm already interested, anyway.

      I hope I'll be able to get to this series in the coming year!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  6. I really need to pick up the first book, this sounds like a great series. Nice choice.

    Jenea's Book Obsession's CWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenea!

      Yeah, I do, too!! This does indeed sound like a great series. Glad you like my choice! :) :)

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read the first book yet, but I really want to read this series! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ronyell!

      Glad you love my pick!! :)

      Yeah, this does indeed sound like a great series, and I hope to be able to get to it in the coming year!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete
  8. I won the ARC of this one. Can't wait to read it and see what happens next! Great pick!
    Check out my Wednesday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa!

      Oh, you WON the ARC?! You LUCKY, LUCKY girl!!! I'm turning green with envy!! Lol.

      Glad you love my pick!!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)