Saturday, April 30, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 176: Newt's Emerald, by Garth Nix



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!



Newt's Emerald 
 Garth Nix
Hardcover, 304 pages
 Katherine Tegen Books
October 13, 2015
(first published November 29, 2013)
Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Mystery,
Romance, Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24737347-newt-s-emerald?from_new_nav=true&ac=1&from_search=true




My Thoughts About This Cover

Interestingly, featuring covers whose main design is typography itself has now made me more aware of such covers. I had never found them fascinating before, but now I feel differently. Such covers can indeed be beautiful, and this one is a stunning example.

The cover I've picked for today has a 19th-century feel to it, but looks modern at the same time. I love the font used for the title, as well as all the little curlicues that embellish it. I also love that the letter "N" encloses a cameo in it, while the letter "R" encloses a gleaming emerald heart-shaped jewel. 

The city walls at the top of the cover are mostly a simple silhouette, yet they contain enough detail to give the cover an exotic feel. Indeed, they remind me of the Arabian Nights. 

I love how several of the cover elements are balanced, one on each side -- the two white gloves,  as well as the scimitar on the left, and what could be a unicorn horn (or perhaps a magic wand) on the right.

The author's name is very nicely framed, with a very nice contrast between the simple font used for his name, and the ornateness of the frame itself.

The curlicues are actually all over the whole cover, which brings back memories of doodling in my notebook during boring math classes....lol. At the bottom of the cover, there's also a top hat. Springing from it are two large curlicues that strongly remind me of a handlebar mustache. This is a very nice touch!

In short, this cover has a very whimsical, cute feel to it, with hints of faraway lands and 19th-century traveling carnivals. The title itself reminds me of the signs used back then, not only for carnivals, but at the front of business establishments, as well.

The artist responsible for this brilliant cover design is Mary Kate McDevitt, a graphi designer (she refers to herself as "a letterer") and illustrator based in Philadelphia. She has a degree in Graphic Design and Illustration from Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia., which she obtained in 2007. Some of her clients include Chronicle Books, Target, Sesame Street, Hallmark, Penguin Books, and AT&T.

My list of favorfite book cover artists is certainly growing!! Now it includes artist who use typography as their main design!    
  


What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








4 comments:

  1. Yours posts have made me appreciate creative uses of typography too!

    I especially like the font used in the authors name.

    In also like the use of the color green in this cover. The vary dark greenish background goes very well with the brighter shades.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, I'm glad you''ve started to appreciate these covers, as well! There are some really great ones out there!

      I like the font used for the author's name, as well. It's simple, yet beautiful.

      I agree with you about the color green used in this cover. It's a marked contrast to the other colors, which I find perfectly wonderful and effective!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! :)

      Delete
  2. I really like this cover and the typography, too! I love the fairytale vibe. Makes me want to curl up with it! Great post, Maria! *hugs*
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michele!

      Yes, this cover certainly has a fairytale vibe! And curling up with it sounds like a fabulous idea!!

      Thanks so much for the compliment and comment!! HUGS BACK!!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)