Saturday, March 12, 2016

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 173: A Wrinkle In Time Trilogy, by Madeleine L'Engle



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!



A Wrinkle In Time Trilogy
 Madeleine L'Engle 
Hardcover, 664 pages
Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions Series
September 3, 2015
Classics, Children's Fiction, Fantasy,
Science Fiction, Young Adult Fiction




My Thoughts About This Cover

***NOTE***
I realize that these pictures are a bit
blurry. That's because I was only
able to access small images. When
zoomed, the details on small images will blur.
My apologies.... 


I promptly found, fell in love with, and happily purchased this jewel of a book when I saw it at Barnes & Noble last night!!

This wonderful bookstore chain that I ADORE just continues  to outdo itself with its exquisitely beuutiful collectible editions! I am already the proud owner of several of them, and have also featured a few here on "Shelf Candy Saturday".

The flying centaur is magnificent! When you see the cover in person, you can tell that the centaur slightly raised from the background. The centaur seems to be flying through ripples of Time. The background is the universe itself. And the font, which is intersected by the circles, is very effective. It seems to be fading in and out of the space-time continuum.

The shades of blue in this gorgeous cover are simply beautiful. I have no words to describe how much I love them! Even the centaur's body and wings reflect the blue light that seems to shine all over the cover.

This volume contains the first three books of  The Time Quintet: A Wrinkle In Time, A Wind In The Door, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet.The back cover shows the titles of all three books, as well as more concentric circles, and the children from the story floating in space.


 This is the full cover.


Barnes & Noble is to be commended for bringing back the art of the beautiful hardcover binding, which was so prevalent especially in the 19th century. The great part about this series is that these volumes are relatively inexpensive. Each one costs $20.00, plus tax. One would expect them to be worth much more, since the craftsmanship is superb!

If you would like to acquire this volume, though, it's better to purchase it at a physical store. I've just discovered that it's over $30.00 online, at both Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Another company that produces beautiful hardcover classics, The Folio Society ( have mentioned them in a previous SCS post) charges much higher prices for their treasures. I am unable to afford them. The Barnes & Noble volumes, however, are definitely within my reach! 

The brilliant creator of the cover art and design is Elizabeth Mihaltse Lindy. She is the Senior Art Director at Sterling Publishing. She's based in New York, and has extensive experience in the publishing field. She also works as a fine artist. She has degrees from Mount Holyoke College, Rhode Island School of Design, and New York University.





Online Links
LinkedIn
Portfolio



What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!










4 comments:

  1. This does look like a beautiful book. Centaurs are such interesting creatures.

    I have seen the books that you refer to at Barnes and Noble. They look to be great books to own.. I have also looked at The Folio society books online. They really look impressive. if money were no option I would start a collection of these.

    In reality I may begin collecting the Barnes and Noble and other similar quality books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, I am SO happy with this purchase! I have been meaning to read these books for the longest time.... Hope to get to them soon!

      The Folio Society books are indeed impressive, but their cost is prohibitive. The B&N Collectors' Editions are much more accessible.

      Of course, I'm not interested in collecting all of these books. For instance, I could care less about "Dracula", or the stories of Edgar Allan Poe. But there are others that I do like, and definitely want to own.

      You would certainly enjoy owning these books, Brian!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! :)

      Delete
  2. This cover is really beautiful, you're right!
    But tbh, I have never heard about his book before, or maybe I have but forgot complitely about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Irena!

      Yes, it sure is beautiful!

      You should put this book in your TBR. The first volume included here, "A Wrinkle In Time", is supposed to be a great classic fantasy/SF novel, and the other two are also supposed to be great! I hope to be able to read all three this year!

      Thanks for the comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)