Saturday, December 20, 2014

Shelf Candy Saturday #137: Christmas With Mary Engelbreit: Here Comes Santa Claus

 


Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful book covers!
It also provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
simply go HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!



 Christmas With Mary Engelbreit: 
Here Comes Santa Claus
Mary Engelbreit
Hardcover, 143 pages
Oxmoor, first edition
August 2, 2002
Christmas Decorating, 
Christmas Traditions, Nonfiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1974013.Christmas_with_Mary_Engelbreit?ac=1




My Thoughts About This Cover

This is such a beautiful, whimsical cover! It really captures all the enchantment of this, the most wonderful season of the year! 

Of course, Engelbreit is known for her gorgeous art, which, although indeed whimsical, is never "cute" in a cliche sort of way, but instead, delights the viewer with its clean design and brilliant colors.

The Santa Claus on this particular cover has a decidedly Nordic feel, and in fact, is patterned on the Father Christmas image more common in those countries. His ridiculously long, pointed shoes remind me of fairies and elves, and are also a sample of this artist's subtle humor. Santa nevertheless is able to trudge through the snow, his bulging sack laden with goodies, with his trusty staff. Instead of reindeer, he has a faithful little dog at his side. 

The frame is very nicely detailed with small flowers, and I love the 'mellow yellow' color against the night-sky blue, which is speckled with stars. I believe the frame has a slight Art Nouveau influence, as well.

The lettering is very nice, too, of course; it's part of Mary Engelbreit's signature style.

This cover is perfect for one to get into the holiday spirit, since Christmas is just around the corner!





Mary Engelbreit Online Links
 
  
 


What do you think of my 
choice this week?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!





8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi, Missie!

      Yes, I love the puppy, too! It's a VERY nice touch! But, I LOVE the entire cover!! Mary Engelbreit is one of my favorite book illustrators!! She's totally unique!!

      Thanks for commenting!! : )

      Delete
  2. I truly great cover that is of course appropriate for this week.

    I love a lot of Christmas related imagery. I really like pictures and decorations that I believe are termed "Old World." A lot of that does seem to have a very serious look to it however. One thing that makes this one look a little different that it manages to have that Old World look without being overly serious. It is very inviting and warm. I think that the dog, the shoes as well as the perceived gate of Santa Clause leads to this.

    If I do not talk to you I hope that you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      I agree with you -- Old World Christmas imagery is very warm and inviting. This particular one is clearly based on the Father Christmas legends, and, of course, Kris Kringle, as well.

      As you know, I ADORE everything related to Christmas, whether it's religious or mythical. In fact, the legends related to Santa Claus come from an actual person -- a Christian bishop now known as St. Nicholas. He used to leave gifts on the doorsteps of poor families, so they would have them for their children on Christmas Day.

      Mary Engelbreit is one of my favorite book illustrators! Her images remind me of the type prevalent in the U.S. around the 1920's. They give me a sense of nostalgia and family togetherness. Yet, they look very modern, as well.

      I don't know if you saw it, but I tweeted about what happened to this artist recently. She created an image in support of Michael Brown, and was actually CRITICIZED by a lot of her fans! Can you believe that? So when people actually say that there's no racism anymore, it's simply NOT true! (Just as there are people who say that sexism no longer exists.....)

      We'll probably talk before Christmas Day, but then again, we might not, so I'd like to wish you and your family a VERY happy holiday, as well!!

      Thanks for leaving such a nice comment!! :)

      Delete
  3. I did not connect the name Mary Engelbreit from your tweet with the name if here. That is actually very sad. There really is A LOT of racism still out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Yes, it's very sad indeed, and most ESPECIALLY at this very special time of year! I hope this type of disgusting thing will one day be history!!

      Thanks for the added comment!! : )

      Delete
  4. The cover sure looks beautiful, thank you for sharing Maria!

    Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Benish!

      Oh, I'm so glad you like it! Mary Engelbreit is one of my favorite book illustrators! She has a LOT of beautiful books!

      You're very welcome for the sharing! Thanks for the comment!! : )

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)