Saturday, June 29, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #74: Search for the Star, by Mary Stanton




Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!



This weekly feature
showcases beautiful book covers,
and provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
just click HERE.


This is my choice for this week!




(Unicorns of Balinor #5)
Trade Paperback, 128 pages
Scholastic Paperbacks, First Edition
November 1, 1999
Fantasy, Middle-Grade Fiction



Why do I love this cover?

I have been wildly in love with horses my entire life, although I haven't been lucky enough to ever have been owned by one....  Of course, unicorns, as their close relatives, claim my admiration as well!

This particular unicorn is breathtakingly, magically, beautiful.  Since I know something about the Arabian breed (my favorite), I can see that this unicorn was inspired by an Arabian stallion.  The features are typical of the breed.  And oh, those soulful eyes....  That luxuriously flowing mane.... And then there's that golden horn.... The horse is a strange shade of lovely blue-green, which makes him even more beautiful to my eyes.  How I wish I could be friends with this magnificent creature in real life!

The whole design of this cover is breathtaking, as well.  I love that the horse is in a frame, in an equally magical, mountainous landscape, yet, his horn and the tips of his ears extend beyond the frame.  I also love the luscious, brilliant green, stylized foliage surrounding this frame.

The font used for the series title -- Unicorns of Balinor -- is also gorgeous, and just right for this cover, since it's very similar to the style of writing used in medieval illuminated manuscripts.

To sum up, even though I don't normally read middle-grade fiction, this cover is definitely calling out to me, and I want to get this book to find out what this unicorn seems to be waiting for.....

Since I don't own this book as yet, I am unable to get any information on the highly talented cover artist.  I can't wait to find out who he or she is!



  

What do you think of my choice?
Leave a comment and let me know!





4 comments:

  1. Fantastic cover Maria!

    Have you read the The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle? I have been meaning to read it for decades but thus far have not. It has a reputation of being one of the greatest fantasy books ever written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Thanks for the compliment on the cover!

      No, would you believe I haven't read that book? And I DO own it, too....it's somewhere in this haphazard collection of books I have. I know it has a great reputation, and I do want to read it. I'll just have to find it! (But if I can't, I might just buy another one...lol._

      Thanks for another WONDERFUL comment!!:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Hi!

    Sooooooo, you love horses as well, cool ;)

    Thank you very much for your comment. I created my blog a few days ago and it is still not quite finished, so yours was actually my first comment! No problem that the answer came so late... And thanks for following my blog (although I don't know bloglovin ^^)

    Have you read Sara Gruen's Books about horses then? 'Riding lessons' and 'Flying changes'. If not, maybe you should put them on your TBR ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lara Emilie!

      Yes, I ADORE them!!! I haven't heard of Sara Gruen's books, but will definitely look them up on Goodreads! I'm sure I'll be putting them on my TBR. Thanks for the recommendations!!

      You're very welcome for my comment! It's amazing that I had not seen it in all this time, and I'm sorry I didn't comment back sooner. Interesting that you created "Once Upon A Book" a few days ago! But I guess I would have commented back on one of your other blogs. You're also very welcome for the follow! You should check out bloglovin'. It's a really cool way to follow blogs!

      Thanks for such a WONDERFUL comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)